Real Life Starts After Graduation

So...I graduated from college!! It was a long and trying 5 1/2 years. Yes, you read that right; it literally took me almost 6 years to graduate from college, and I am not ashamed to say it!

Look at that happy face :) 

So you graduated. What are you going to do now?


The weeks leading up to my graduation elicited questions about how I felt, was I happy, and more importantly, "what now?" The last question sort of took me by surprise more than anything. Not going to lie; it came off more as a "wagging finger" type question than one of true curiosity. 

In almost every situation I sprouted out the most ambitious and correct-sounding response I could think of. "I'm going to law school." 

Anyone who knows me also knows that I literally changed my major in college four times before landing on Sociology which is just as obscure of a major as my future career plans (and I loved it!!).

Well anyways, the more I told people what I was going to do after graduation, the more "for-real" it sounded, the more I could see myself actually going through with it, and the less I asked myself what I really wanted to do.

I don't know guy from The Notebook! It's not that simple!!! 

Well I can actually see myself as a lawyer. I know from my obsessive research, informational interviews of lawyers and law students (and experience in the legal field) that I would enjoy the profession and going to law school. But I feel that being a professional, or having a career is not something that I would necessarily do if I didn't have to. IMHO unless I was a police officer or doctor saving lives or something similar I can't see myself pulling that much value from my career to the point where I find it self-fulfilling. But, that's just the type of person I am, and other people can. 

So what is the big self-fulling purpose I'm destined to fulfill? I don't know yet, but I know I'll figure it out. I also know that my job just isn't "that", nor will it be and that's okay. But at the end of the day, I need to make money because I have a ton of student debt, more than I'm proud to tell, and I need to make money. 
Me after seeing my student loan payment for the first time


What I'm doing now

I found a job.



I'm so relieved! I actually found this job two months ago and was able to start working  full-time already due to me killing my self last summer taking extra classes so that I would only have one class to take this last semester. I was lucky enough to be able to take that class at night. Two days after I graduated, I was offered a salaried position at a great fortune 500 company making the salary I wanted. I also attribute this success to the several professional jobs and internships throughout my collegiate career (the one thing I did right). 

Finances

I'm getting my finances in order, evaluating my debts and financial goals for graduate school, and coming up with a game plan (I'll share this with you soon). 

Fitness

I'm also deciding I'm no longer going to sacrifice my fitness the first time I get busy. While I am still struggling with this concept (everything is a process), I have successfully tracked my calories and exercise on fitness app Myfitnesspal for 27 days (a new record for me!!), and I've managed to work out 2-3 times per week for the past month. I plan to work out 5-7 days per week and burn 3500 calories per week through exercise and diet cuts.

Personal Development

Me and a couple of my friends decided to start our own mastermind group. My Utoria coach Tori Molnar (she's pure awesomeness :) told me to never start a new idea without telling your mastermind group. I've also heard that having a mastermind group is crucial to business success. For our first meeting we will be outlining our goals for 2015, setting a schedule, and keeping each other accountable!! 

I'm so excited for the future and what it holds. 2014 was a warm-up now 2015 is GAME TIME! 

Have any of you recently graduated? If so how do you feel about life and what's your plans for the future?



Comments

  1. Awesome entry and congrats on your graduation! So glad I found this blog (you've been holding out on me!). So excited to see you accomplishing your goals. And great job on the MyFitnessPal accomplishment -- 27 days is so easy feat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts